Why hasn’t Harry Potter cast his spell on Washington?
As we noted in Roll Call some time ago, references to the most popular book-and-movie series of the past decade are still few and far between on Capitol Hill.
That’s a shame because Potter’s world has a number of handy metaphors that would be readily understood by anyone under the age of 29 — and quite a few older. (I mean, it’s not like it’s Parseltongue or something.)
For example: “The economy is going to be the Golden Snitch of the upcoming elections — whoever captures that issue will win the election.”
That’s why we were particularly excited to read Timothy Noah, a card-carrying member of Washington punditry, compare conservative Supreme Court justices to dementors in a recent blog post on the New Republic.
Whether you agree with Noah or not, it’s nice to see Potter get his due.
- No public Twitter messages.
- Officials: Members and Staff Can Still Enroll in Exchanges After Dec. 9
- Capitol Hill Feels Pains of Obamacare Sign-Up Troubles
- Dolcezza Gelato Tasting Room's Grand Opening
- Phishing Scam Reported for DC Health Link
- Calendar: A Guide to Capital Cold-Weather Survival
- Capitol Visitor Center Marks 5 Years
- Capitol Wreath Ceremony on Monday
MegaVoteSign up for MegaVote, a free weekly email from CQ Roll Call about how your members of Congress voted on the key issues.
December 2013 M T W T F S S « Apr 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31